“Remember, it is forbidden to live in a town which has no garden or greenery.” – Kiddushin 4:12
Man’s existence on earth depends on all the other living matter around him and a large part of this belongs to the plant kingdom. Without the extraordinary variety of living organisms that make up the world of plants, animal life could not survive and our planet would be barren and lifeless world of deserts.
There is widespread epidemics of obesity, heart disease, depression and mental illness affecting people in many developed and developing countries. According to researchers exposure to green space has a positive effect on the health of an individual living in a noisy, densely populated city.
“Dr Groenewegen extensively studied the green elements of the landscape around us which seem to affect health, well-being and feelings of social safety and called his research project Vitamin G, where G stands for the green space around us.”
- Some plants are of more use than others. High on the list of plants on which our lives depend are the food crops like wheat, rice, oats, sugar cane. Then there are green vegetables and great variety of fruits.
- Grasses provide the basic food foodstuff for cattle and sheep, on which man depends for milk and meat.
- Some plants give us beverages like tea and coffee.
- Medicinal plants give us quinine and morphine. More powerful antimalarial drugs are used nowadays. Microscopic plants belonging to the group known as fungi provide antibiotics such as penicillin and streptomycin to fight disease.
- In many countries plant material is used to provide heat by the burning of coal and wood. Wood is used to build furnitures and buildings. Some plants are used to make clothes.
- In most cities, trees are planted and parks are created to improve the environment. Parks provide an important place for people to be active and socialize with friends in a calm and beautiful environment.
- Walking in the green space is linked to a lower likelihood of being overweight or obese.
- It is associated with lower rates of diseases such as type 2 diabetes mellitus, colorectal cancer and osteoporosis.
- Walking in the nature is an excellent form of exercise for patients recovering from coronary heart disease.
- Contact with natural environment reduce anxiety and tension and helps in dealing with stressful situation.
- Regular walking in a beautiful, green environment improves cholesterol level and controls blood pressure.
- A city dotted with many parks and gardens can reduce noise and air pollution and elevate the mood of the residents naturally.
- After a walk in the garden there is increase in focus and productivity of work.
- There is significant improvements in overall health, asthma, and other respiratory problems.
- Researchers have concluded that presence of indoor plants increased patient’s tolerance to pain.
- When the working place is decorated with green plants and flowers, there is decrease in health complaints from the workers.
- Green spaces has a positive effect on pregnant mothers. Studies have shown beneficial effect of exposure to green spaces on birth weight of the baby.
If you are hungry cook a meal with green leafy vegetables and relax with a cup of green tea. If you feel irritated, impulsive, impatient, frustrated, stop working and take a walk in the green space. Create a cheerful and pleasant environment by decorating your work space with green plants.